Thursday, April 15, 2010

Brighten your plate, begin with your windowsill.

I have frequently mentioned the produce that Nathanael and I have grown together in our garden, most notably the pumpkins, but I know that many of you do not foresee gardening in your path this summer. For most of you it is lack of land or frequent change in living arrangements that prevent you from producing some of your own food, even though the concept is enticing. For those of you with this problem I would like to recommend a website I recently stumbled upon within the bbc network of websites. Whether you have a little backyard patch, a balcony, or just a windowsill in your apartment or office, the slideshows and articles at DIG IN will explain the best vegetables to grow in small spaces, how to plant and care for them, and provide links for cooking them if you are interested. Pumpkins are not on the list, but I encourage you to try growing some beans or carrots, which have so much more flavor when they are from the garden and not the grocery store.
Another fun thing to remember is that you don't need to purchase conventional pots at the garden store if you'd rather not. Be creative and recycle plastic containers, chipped dishware, and other household objects as long as you are able to punch holes to provide the appropriate drainage for your chosen crops.
If you have a hard time deciding on your plants, I vote purple carrots.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. So tell me what you're thinking!
(If you comment on older posts I will see them too and do my best to reply!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...